Ten-year-old boys are probably the hardest age group to get toys for. They are still not teens, but consider themselves as grown-ups and they are definitely not those little kids anymore that love to play with good ol’ battery-operated toy cars. They want things that are fun and challenging. But, as a parent, you need to make sure that the toys you get for your young boy also evoke his imagination and creativity, as well as help improve his cognitive skills. To help you find the perfect gift for this challenging ‘in-between’ age group, we have put together a list of some of the best toys for 10 year old boys on the market. Take a look to save yourself from the hassle of browsing through tons of toys to find the right one for your young man.
The Best Toys for 10 Year Old Boys
Gili Building Construction Engineering Kit
Rating: 4.4/5 stars
Lego Mindstorms Robot Kit
Rating: 4.4/5 stars
Elenco Electronic Playground 50-in-One
Rating: 4.1/5 stars
1. Gili Building Construction Engineering Kit
Consisting of 361 pieces and an easy-to-follow manual, this construction kit will provide hours of endless fun to your young boy. It’s not only entertaining but also challenging and helps spark imagination and creativity.
In addition to encouraging personal growth, this construction set is also great for bonding with friends, siblings, or other family members. Since it is a bit complex than many other similar building block sets, the child may need some help, which then will help him learn the importance of teamwork and collaboration.
At a Glance
- Consists of 361 pieces and an easy-to-follow manual for ideas
- Allows kids to use their imagination and creativity as well as improve their STEM skills
- Safe, sturdy, and durable – made with non-toxic ABC plastic fabric
2. Czech Games Codenames: Pictures ($7)
A great gift for all the young Sherlocks out there, codename is both challenging and fun. It will also help your kid learn to socialize and work in a team as well as compete, in a healthy way, of course.
Requiring four or more players, the game is played between two rival teams headed by spymasters. The teammates communicate in coded messages and race against each other to finish the given tasks.
Fun fact – many adults also find the game really interesting and love to join their kids.
At a Glance
- A fun-filled game that also helps children learn teamwork and healthy competition
- Contains 265 cards and a rulebook that includes detailed guidelines on how to play
- Highly affordable
3. Hardy Boys Starter Set
Does your ten-year-old love books? Encourage this wonderful habit by giving him books as a gift. Let your little reader experience a thrilling ride with Hardy boys as they begin their journey as detectives.
The classic mystery series will incite and engage the curious young mind as he will try to solve the mysteries along with Frank and Joe (the lead characters of the novel). Not to mention, reading improves comprehension and vocabulary as well as helps boost imagination and creativity.
At a Glance
- Contains first five books of the series
- The storied and cases are appropriate for young readers
- The interesting plot will also help cultivate reading habit in children
4. Lego Mindstorms Robot Kit
It’s no secret that most young boys are fascinated with robots. So, why not use robots to help your child learn the basics of engineering, programming, and coding? Sounds great, right?
This Lego robot kit does it all for you!
Containing 601 pieces and an instruction manual, the kit lets your child built 17 different types of robots. Not only this, once your little engineer successfully builds his first creation, he can also bring it into action via the free programmer application. When we say the robot can be brought into action, we not only mean walking, but talking, grabbing things, and shooting at targets, to name a few.
At a Glance
- Consists of over 600 pieces that can be used to build 17 different types of robots
- Robot building activity is both fun and challenging for ten-year-old boys
- Helps children learn the basics of coding, programming, and engineering
- Helps develop brain power and STEM skills in particular
5. Think Fun Hacker Cybersecurity Coding Game
With over 50 million pieces sold, to date, this STEM toy is clearly a winner when it comes to brain games. It is especially a great choice for kids that are interested in computer because it helps them understand the concept of cybersecurity.
It will help your ten-year-old aspiring computer/software engineer learn how hacking works and how coding and security engineering can be used to protect your information online.
At a Glance
- Comes with a challenge booklet containing a total of 120 challenges of different complexity levels – from beginners to expert
- Also contains an instruction manual and a solution booklet
- Helps understand the basics of computing and cybersecurity as well as develop critical skills
6. Elenco Electronic Playground 50-in-One
Is your child curious to know how different types of electronic equipment work?
If yes, then get him this electronic playground for his next birthday and he will be over the moon.
This fully-assembled electric circuit board lets your child build 50 different types of operational circuits, including that of an alarm, a finger touch lamp, an electronic keyboard, a metal detector, a transistor radio and much more.
The kit contains an instruction manual that also contains information about the basic concepts of electronics, such as current, voltage, and capacitor.
At a Glance
- Can be used to build over 50 different electronic projects
- Helps children learn the basic concepts of electronics
- Helps develop cognitive skills
7. Ravensburger GraviTrax XXL Starter Set Marble Run
Containing 240 elements, 3 action accessories, 9 track designs, and 24 challenges, this giant marble run set is ideal for your little Einstein as it will help him learn the basic concepts of physics – gravity, kinetics, and magnetism.
What makes all this learning fun and exciting is the fact that your child will have to build race tracks, which most boys love.
While it comes with a detailed instruction manual, your little genius can also create his own designs.
Apart from helping your child learn the basics of physics, this STEM toy will also help develop and/or promote critical skills – reasoning and planning, in particular.
At a Glance
- Was exhibited at the 2018 New York Toy Fair
- Helps children understand the basic concepts of physics
- The game is mentally challenging, which helps develop and improve critical skills
8. Tokaido Board Game
If your ten-year-old is obsessed with anime, like most kids these days (let’s face it – adults are equally obsessed with it), this cool board game will be a great gift for him.
In addition to sparking your child’s imagination, as the game takes the players on a journey through the East Sea Road in Japan, the board game will also help promote brain development. It will also encourage the child to think out-of-the-box and make strategic choices.
At a Glance
- Totally different from other board games available on the market
- Helps improve mental capabilities
- Helps the child learn social skills, as the game requires multiple players
Best Toys for 10 Year Old Boy – Buying Guide
Ten is such a tricky and pivotal age for children – they are not little kids anymore and many of them start considering themselves as mature and grown-up. But, almost everyone around them still treats them as little kids, which these young boys find frustrating. Simply put, ten is all about change because it’s a period of transition. Therefore, it has its own challenges and struggles. However, you can help your boy through this transition phase by guiding him in the right direction and helping them grow in every aspect, rather than suppressing their changing needs.
Wondering what does this all have to do with toys?
A large amount of research has been done on how toys and play affect children’s development and it has long been established that they play a crucial role in children’s mental, emotional, and social development.
As a parent, you need to consider all these factors while buying gifts for your ten-year-old boy to make sure they have balanced personalities and grow into wonderful human beings. A few other important factors to consider when buying toys for ten-year-old boys are:
- The child’s personality and his likes and dislikes
- The toys have to be fun and entertaining
- Make sure the toys are somewhat challenging, so they push the child to use his reasoning, logic, and other cognitive skills
- Get your ten-year-old toys that require no or minimal adult assistance; your young boy won’t like you to be on his head all the time
- The toys should preferably be educational as well; they should help your child learn something new and/or polish his skills
- Ideally, the toys should also give a sense of achievement by the end of the game
- Lastly, try and get at least some technology toys for your boy. It’s no secret that today’s generation is highly fascinated with technology. Let them channel it into constructive outlets
If you want your child to love the toys that you get for him, make sure they fulfill most (if not all) of these requirements or requisites.
Best Toys for 10 Year Old Boys – FAQs
In case, you still have some concerns with regards to the toys for a ten-year-old boy, or toys in general, read on because here we answer some of the most frequently asked questions about this topic:
- What are learning toys?
Learning toys are those that help your child learn new concepts or skills, no matter how small or basic they are. They also help promote his cognitive skills and social development.
- Are these toys safe for my ten-year-old?
We know that there are some toys on the market that can be dangerous or risky for children. But, rest assured that all the toys we have selected for your ten-year-old are perfectly safe for him.
- What if the instructions are not clear or simple enough for a ten-year-old?
Let your child try figuring out the toy on his own. If he finds things too complicated or needs any help, he will ask you. Do not interfere and try to teach him what he should do. It’s his toy, so let him explore it first.
If he asks for help and the instructions are not clear to you too, check out YouTube. In most cases, there are detailed instructions available for complicated toys.
- My son loses or breaks most of his toys. How can I deal with this issue?
That’s how boys are!
In general, boys are more likely to break or lose their belongings than girls. However, this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t teach your child to be disciplined and take care of his toys. A good way to do this is to tell him that you won’t be replacing his lost or broken toys, so he’ll have to take care of them. And, be true to your words, so your child knows that you are not just saying it for the sake of it, but you actually mean it.
Our Top Pick
Want to know what’s our topmost pick for the best toy for ten-year-old boys? It’s the Gili Building Construction Engineering Kit because it provides hours of endless fun along with helping the young children grow in all aspects. From inspiring a child’s imagination and boosting his creativity to helping him learn the importance of hard work and focus, this toy promotes personal growth in a variety of ways.
- The Role of Toys in Children Development, PlayKids.
- The Power of Play – How Fun and Games Help Children Thrive, Healthychidlren.org
- What the Research Says: Impact of Specific Toys on Play, naeyc (National Association for the Education of Young Children).